You are here

Frequently Asked Questions - Replacing Documents

Contact your bank or the mortgage company where you make your mortgage payment to replace your mortgage papers. For deed information, contact your local government. 

To replace your social security card, contact your local Social Security office. Visit for assistance in getting new or replacement cards. You may locate the nearest SSA office using the Social Security Office Locator. You may also call 1-800-772-1213 for information.

Replace your drivers license or ID. If you've lost your license or ID as the result of a natural disaster, you should report the loss to the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety at (405) 425-2477. 

If your Oklahoma drivers license has not expired, visit any tag agency. They can verify your identity through fingerprints, if you have them on file, and provide you with a replacement license. If your license has expired, or your fingerprints are not on file with the Oklahoma Department of Public Safety, you must provide primary proof of identification. Acceptable forms of primary proof of identification may be found on the DPS website.

In addition, only a Drivers License Exam Station or certain certified tag agencies can renew your license with a state-issued certified birth certificates.

If you have lost documents or other materials containing personal or financial information:

  • Contact your financial institutions as soon as possible
  • Contact credit bureaus:
    • Transunion – 1-800-680-7289
    • Experian – 1-888-397-3742
    • Equifax – 1-800-525-6285

Guard against identity theft. If you've been separated from vital documents that confirm your identity and if those articles fall into the wrong hands, you may have reason to be concerned about identity theft. If you suspect that someone has stolen your identity, contact local law enforcement immediately and retain the police report for your records.

If you have a “secure checking” account, remember to monitor all of your information through the ID Protect feature. Your bank will help you replace lost checks, debit and ATM cards associated with your account. If you feel that your personal information may be in immediate danger then consider placing a fraud alert or credit freeze on your credit file. Contact the Federal Trade Commission or call the identity theft helpline at 877-438-4338 for more information.

If a natural disaster has forced you to evacuate without IDs, checks, credit and debit cards, and other documents needed to conduct your everyday finances. If you've lost important documents, you'll want to get started replacing them as soon as possible.