Due to high fire danger and ongoing wildfires, the Oklahoma Department of Emergency Management (OEM) is in contact with emergency managers in the affected areas and is coordinating with Oklahoma National Guard, Oklahoma Forestry Services Division, Oklahoma Highway Patrol, Oklahoma State Department of Health, Oklahoma Department of Transportation, Oklahoma Office of Homeland Security, National Weather Service, American Red Cross, and the Salvation Army and Oklahoma Voluntary Organizations Active in Disaster (VOAD).
A Red Flag Warning is in effect for western, central and north-central Oklahoma due to windy conditions, dry air and very warm temperatures. Outdoor burning and other activities that could spark a fire are strongly discouraged. Do not throw cigarettes out car windows. Report any suspicious smoke or fires to your local law enforcement or fire authority.
Numerous fires have been reported to the State Emergency Operations Center including the following:
- Caddo County Emergency Management reports a fire near Binger and another fire near Cyril. Eight fire departments are responding to the Binger fire.
- Logan County Emergency Management reports a fire in southeast Logan County north of Luther. They are advising residents in the impacted area to evacuate. A shelter has been established at the Meridian Fire Station. Eight fire departments are on scene. Two National Guard helicopters are responding to the fire.
- Woodward County Emergency Management reports 12 homes have been evacuated due to a large wildfire 6 miles from Woodward. Oklahoma Forestry Services deployed two CL-415 air tankers for fire suppression and sent a management team to assist. Task forces from Beaver and Dewey counties are also responding.
- Woods County Emergency Management is advising residents in Freedom to evacuate northeast toward Alva as a precaution due to the fire in Woodward County.
- Additional fires have been reported in Canadian, Creek, Harper, Major and Pontotoc counties.
SHELTERS AND MASS CARE
American Red Cross reports a shelter is open in Woodward at the Pioneer Room at 1212 9th Street for residents who have been evacuated.
They are also supporting a shelter in Logan County at the Meridian Fire Station on Highway 105.
Oklahoma Department of Transportation reports US Highway 64 is closed between State Highway 14 and State Highway 34 in Woods County.
For Oklahoma residents seeking non-emergency disaster or health and human service information, please contact your local 2-1-1. Services are available 24 hours a day by dialing 2-1-1 from your home or cellular telephone. Please only call 911 for emergencies.