Submitted by Doug Doe on Mon, 06/06/2016 - 5:15pm
- Donate only to charities that you know and trust
- Be wary of charities that seem to have been formed specifically in response to a particular disaster
- Contact the Oklahoma Secretary of State to find out if the charity is registered in Oklahoma. Contact the SOS at (405) 521-3912 or search charitable organization listings online at www.sos.ok.gov/charity/.
- Ask for written information regarding the solicitor’s charity
- Listen carefully to the name of the charity. Scam artists often claim to be associated with a charity that mimics the name of a well-known organization
- Be wary of solicitors that use high pressure or aggressive tactics, ask for donations in cash or promise prizes